THE grand total for funds raised by Talk Radio Europe’s telethon comes to €14,000, an enormous achievement for all those involved.
Hundreds of listeners called in during Friday’s 9-hour marathon stint, from 10am to 7pm, to bid on a huge range of items and experiences, including the chance to be a radio presenter for a day, a wedding dress, and golf tours galore.
All the funds raised by the telethon will go to The Cudeca Hospice, a cancer care hospice in Benalmadena.
The event was hosted by some of TRE’s most famous voices – including Bill Padley, Dave Hodgson and The Olive Press’ own Giles Brown.
Steph Miller, TRE’s executive producer and PR manager, said: “It’s such a good way to fundraise because it doesn’t cost anything. It’s just us working and the generosity of the people who phone in. All the money we raise can go directly to Cudeca.”
“We all work incredibly hard to make sure the telethon’s a success, but if it wasn’t for the wonderful people who call in and bid then we wouldn’t have anything. You need the whole package to make the fundraising work so well,” she added.
The Cudeca Hospice has offered home care and support services to more than 8,000 patients with advanced cancer since 1992.
All the services provided by Cudeca are completely free, made possible by the 200 volunteers who support the charity and by fundraising events like TRE’s telethon.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05