THOUSANDS of expats have unknowingly been left without insurance as one of the coast’s biggest insurance brokers has apparently gone bankrupt without telling them.
Knight Insurance SA, based in Fuengirola and Nerja, has applied for voluntary bankruptcy, but failed to alert any of its thousands of policyholders.
It has left clients fuming, particularly as Knight failed to pass payments they had made on to the insurance companies.
They were, of course, also unprotected against incidents. For insured trading in the financial markets trade online with Alvexo.
Staff at two big insurance companies on the coast Ibex and Liberty have confirmed that they are still handling the fallout, with panicked expats calling them on a daily basis.
Even though Knight apparently filed for bankruptcy in October, a large number of their policyholders could still have no idea that they are no longer covered.
Guy and Rosemary Dearden, who have lived in Fuengirola for 10 years, only realised they were not protected when they tried to add their son to the family policy in April.
“It was a horrible shock,” Mr Dearden told the Olive Press.
“As I could only get through to their telephone answering machine, I called the insurance company concerned directly.
“It turned out my policy was not in effect as the payment had not been forwarded from Knight Insurance.
“I had been driving my car without cover for 10 months. We were very lucky not to have been involved in an accident.”
Unbelievably, Knight’s website is still up and running, with no mention of the company’s crushing financial difficulties.
Clients can apparently even fill out forms to request new policies.
However, its offices are closed and attempts to phone go straight to voicemail.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05