By Carey Camel
A QUARTER of Europe’s best restaurants are Spanish, according to a popular US food website.
No less than five of the top 20 restaurants in Europe are in Spain, according to popular food blog Opinionated About Dining (OAD).
Highest placed restaurant is Quique Dacosta in Denia, which comes in third, while 41 Degrees Experience, in Barcelona, comes in fourth.
Also in the top 20 are El Celler de Can Roca in Girona (13th), Sant Pau in Sant Pol del Mar (14th), and Azurmendi in Larrabetzu (19th).
The only other country to compete with Spain in the Top 100 best restaurants in Europe compiled by OAD, is France.
However, the continent’s best restaurant this year is apparently Belgium’s In De Wulf, closely followed by Troisgros in France.
Last year’s winner Quique Dacosta was bumped to third.
The OAD chart is based on surveys submitted by diners rather than professional food critics, so chefs and promoters who encourage voting via social media play a large role in these rankings.
Furthermore, the surveys submitted by faithful OAD contributors are weighted more than others, meaning the opinion of those who dine at these restaurants more often is most influential in deciding who comes out on top.
Compare that to the San Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants lists – a ranking decided by actual food critics from around the world – and you will find Spain’s El Celler de Can Roca as number two on their list, just behind Noma in Copenhagen.
Interestingly, Spain has only three restaurants in the Top 20 for the Pellegrino awards.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44