ANGRY protesters have gathered in Fuengirola to say no to planned gas drilling.
Spanish oil company Repsol is due to start exploration off the coast of Mijas in February 2015, but the plans have been met with outrage.
Members of the NGO – called the Citizens Movement against the prospecting of hydrocarbons – met on the paseo maritimo to raise awareness about the plans.
Wells will be drilled 1,600m deep, just 8km off the beach by the Faro de Calaburras lighthouse in Mijas Costa, 12km southwest of Fuengirola.
Librada Moreno, a member of the movement, insisted the potential consequences of the drilling could be disastrous.
Other past events organised by the group include a human chain, a recreation of a tar spill in Mijas and countless petitions.
For more information, visit the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PLATAFORMAShidrocarburosNO
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05