A FILM about Punk legend Joe Strummer’s time in southern Spain has premiered in New York.
The documentary – I need a Dodge: Joe Strummer on the run – is now set to screen around Spain and the UK.
It tells the story of how the Clash lead singer lost his Dodge car, somewhere in Madrid, after a big weekend of drinking in 1986.
The London rocker spent many holidays in Spain after becoming disillusioned with the UK punk scene in the early 1980s.
He had a Spanish girlfriend from Granada (Paloma Romero) and later bought a holiday home in Cabo de Gata, in Almeria.
The film begins with an interview with Joe on Spain’s national station Radio 3, in which he recalls leaving his car ‘in some garage in Madrid’.
It goes on to tell how he planned to search for the unmarked grave of murdered writer Federico Garcia Lorca.
Filmmaker Nick Hall – who spent four years working on the documentary – claims that Strummer was drawn by the ‘Movida Madrilena’, the countercultural scene following the death of Franco in 1975.
His time in Spain has been commemorated with a square named after him in the evocative Albaicin barrio of Granada.
The film will be premiering across Spain throughout October and November, including Barcelona on October 26 and 30, Madrid on November 1, and Bilbao and Pamplona later in November.
For more information, see http://www.ineedadodge.com/
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05