THE historic Asturian socialist Jose Angel Fernandez Villa may be expelled from the PSOE tomorrow, if he does not answer questions about the origins of his €1.4 million secret fortune.
Fernandez Villa, who has been a member of the National Executive of the PSOE, senator and regional deputy among others things, has just 24 hours to defend himself or he will be evicted from the party.
Currently – according to Jesus Gutierrez, secretary of the Organisation of the Federation of Asturian Socialists – the former mining union leader is maintaining a guarded silence about the origin of his fortune, which was discovered on October 7.
The secretary general of the FSA-PSOE and President of Asturias, Javier Fernandez, stated at the time of the discovery that Villa should be expelled from the party.
Three days later, on October 10, the national leadership supported the decision of the President of Asturias, and gave Fernandez Villa 10 working days to defend himself from expulsion.
The politician – currently at the Central University Hospital in Asturias with an infection – has also been provisionally expelled from the union, after failing to attend a conciliation organised by the union on October 8.
The Asturian parliament has also agreed to request the removal of Villa as their representative within the state mining company Hunosa.
With the May elections approaching, the PSOE hopes to reassure its voters that it is an ‘honest and honourable’ party, despite the current scandal.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05