A MASSIVE fire at Gibraltar’s five-star Sunborn Hotel has been brought under control, after firefighters spent the night battling the blaze.
Emergency services were called to the scene at 5.30pm yesterday, after the fire broke out in a storage container next to the €150 million floating hotel, at Marina Bay.
Extensive damage has been caused to the exterior of the 189-room hotel and to the façade of the neighbouring Gala Casino at Ocean Village.
The fire caused an evacuation of the hotel – which opened in March 2014 – and casino, as well as all restaurants and bars in the marina.
It is believed to have originated in the adjacent storage container, which contained refurbishment materials.
There are no reports of any injuries caused by the fire.
Firefighters from the City Fire Brigade were assisted by the Royal Gibraltar Police, Customs, the port authority and Gibraltar Defence Police.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05