BARCELONA will be unable to make any signings in 2015 after their transfer window ban was upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The Catalan giants had hoped to overturn the ban imposed by FIFA after they were found guilty of signing underage players from outside of Spain.
But the courts returned its verdict today, explaining that they found ‘no grounds’ to overturn FIFA’s decision, thereby confirming Barca’s ban.
“CAS has dismissed the appeal filed by FC Barcelona against FIFA regarding the decision issued by the FIFA Appeals Committee on August 19, 2014,” said a CAS statement.
“The panel found in particular that FC Barcelona had breached the rules regarding the protection of minors and the registration of minors attending football academies.
“FIFA’s decision is confirmed in full and the sanction remains in force.”
However, Barca’s appeal forced a delay of the initial ban which allowed them to snap up star signings such as Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic and Alen Halilovic during the 2014 summer transfer window.
The suspension of activity will begin during the January window and will also be in force during the summer.
Barcelona will also have to pay a fine of around €375,000.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36