An investment of €1,7 million will bring to life the universe Tolkien created in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
The resulting theme park will aptly take on the name of La Comarca, which is the Spanish name for the region inhabited by hobbits in Tolkien’s books originally know as the Shire.
“The Shire is a park set to become one of the most emblematic tourist, scenic and recreational attractions of our town, where the materials used have a low environmental impact to provide an integrated image in nature,” explained Rincon de la Victoria mayor Francisco Salado.
At Madrid’s International Tourism Fair on Thursday the mayor claimed La Comarca will be a tourist attraction ‘unique in Andalucia’ thanks to the nature of its subject and the use of space of the park’s 12 hectares.
The local Rinconsol and Elimar hotels are also participating in the project and will have a themed room for magically inclined tourists.
Malaga’s Provincial Government will provide €500,000 of the investment with its President, Elias Bendodo, emphasizing the uniqueness of the project.
“It will be a milestone for our province, an infrastructure of social, environmental and economic interest will result in the benefit of all Malaga,” said Bendodo.
The park will use renewable energies and heightened reality enabling visitors to interact digitally and interactively with the environment which will give great importance to vegetation to create a cosy setting full of fantasy reminiscent of fairy tales.
- Police uncover 36 Egyptian artefacts in Valencia - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 12:00
- Zara boss buys iconic building on Madrid’s Gran Via - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 11:00
- Huge sports complex to open in Sabinillas - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 08:00
- Expat searches for ‘perfect home’ for Costa del Sol turtle - 31 Jan, 2015 @ 11:00
- ‘Tolkien universe’ theme park to open in Rincon de la Victoria - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 17:24
- IMF raises Spain’s growth forecast saying it has entered a ‘virtous circle’ - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- Organic success in Marbella - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- European Central Bank to buy 10% of Spain’s public debt - 29 Jan, 2015 @ 18:09
- WikiLeaks threaten legal action after Google hand over journalist email data to US government - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 13:47
- Swans talent show stuns audience - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00