A BRITISH expat is fighting back after Benalmadena Town Hall banned her from feeding the town’s stray cats.
Kelly Dooley, 44, was given a slap on the wrists by Guardia Civil officers who spotted her laying out food for the moggies in Paloma Park.
But the caring expat has now launched a change.org petition to overturn the decision and has already garnered the support of over 2,000 signatories.
“I cannot believe they can do this,” Dooley told the Olive Press. “It is a total injustice.
“I have worked like a nutter to neuter and save these cats for the last seven years.”
Dooley, originally from London, currently cares for 55 stray cats.
She has invested a lot of money into improving the number of abandoned pets on the Costa del Sol and has rescued many.
“I have saved the lives of over 100 cats,” she said. “I’m really frightened that the cats will starve now or worse the town hall will cull them.”
Dooley launched an awareness campaign in February, via the Olive Press, after one of her strays had its heart cut out in a ‘voodoo-style assassination’.
A pet is abandoned every three minutes in Spain, and 150,000 pets are left on the streets each year, according to animal rights group Observatorio de la Fundacion Affinity.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36