THE EU has opened an investigation on the UK’s protection of Gibraltar’s environmentally protected zones.
Both the rock and the southern waters of Gibraltar are designated British Special Conservation Zones.
The committee is investigating whether the UK has instated the proper measures for conserving the protected ecosystems amid rising tensions between the UK and Spain over Gibraltar’s waters.
If the UK’s efforts prove insufficient, the European Commission investigating will be able to denounce London in the EU’s Court of Justice, after a two month response period.
- Pre-summer sales spike hit Spain in July - 11 Sep, 2015 @ 09:53
- Sherry makes a comeback in Jerez - 10 Sep, 2015 @ 09:49
- Andalucian mayor demands funds to preserve newly-discovered Roman ruins - 9 Sep, 2015 @ 10:00
- Malaga chef becomes only Andalucian Top Chef candidate - 5 Sep, 2015 @ 16:47
- Animal rights activists protest over whale treatment at Tenerife marine park - 4 Sep, 2015 @ 11:39
- Nerja councillor resigns after being ‘ignored’ by peers - 30 Aug, 2015 @ 11:02
- Spanish entrepreneur cracks historic WWII decryption - 30 Aug, 2015 @ 08:54
- World-famous ‘jackal’ literary agent heads to Spain - 29 Aug, 2015 @ 14:36
- Teenage mayoral candidate attacked outside her home for ‘fascist’ views - 29 Aug, 2015 @ 09:00
- Gay couple attacked at Almeria feria - 28 Aug, 2015 @ 15:29