SOLOMON Levy could be deemed the true rock of the Rock.
An iconic Gibraltar figure, Levy looks forward to National Day every year as an opportunity to show how proud he is of his community and long heritage.
Levy’s family has run the Rock for over 250 years, with his late uncle Sir Joshua Hassan serving two terms as the Civil Minister and also holding the first-ever mayoral position from 1955 to 1969.
Levy founded his estate agency, Solomon Levy FRICS in April of 1960, and still picks up the phone at the office’s reception desk.
Never idle, Levy served as the first civil mayor of Gibraltar, receiving the post after a legislative change that allowed this ceremonial post to be filled by non-parliamentary members.
Strongly pro-British and one of the strongest advocates for Gibraltar’s Jewish community, Levy’s efforts in the community were recognised with one of the highest honours when he received his MBE from Her Majesty the Queen herself.
Levy, who turns out every year in a striking red and white suit for Gibraltar’s national day festivities, declared that this National Day is extremely important in the face of clashes between Gibraltarian and Spanish authorities.
“We want to show the world that although we are only 30,000 people, no one, especially not Spain, can take over Gibraltar or break our spirits,” Levy commented.
“Spain for the Spaniards, Gibraltar for us proud Gibraltarians.”
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44