HE swooped in like James Bond on a secret mission deep inside rural Andalucia.
Pentagon boss Ashton Carter has flown into America’s massive Moron de la Frontera air base, as part of a classified troop manoeuvres, the Olive Press can reveal.
Sources revealed that the White House Defence Secretary was on hand to discuss continuing military operations in North Africa and the Middle East.
In particular, looking at the spread of ISIL, he was discussing the strategy of how to best use the 2,200 US troops based there.
The base is now the permanent official headquarters of the US ‘reaction force’ to fight jihadism, with navy destroyer USS Carney arriving in nearby Rota, in mid-September.
Moron airbase, which counts 100 planes, was opened in 2012.
Carter later observed troop manoeuvres with his Spanish counterpart, Pedro Morenes, at the base.
The tour is the latest seal of good military relations between the two countries, with May’s agreement extending the number of US troops stationed at the Spanish base.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00