SPANISH coastguards have released incredible footage of Alex Thomson being airlifted from the Atlantic after a rogue wave overturned his yacht.
The British sailor’s vessel capsized 82 miles off the coast of Galicia before a Salvamento Maritimo helicopter rescue team winched Thomson and racing partner Guillermo Altadill from the sea.
The Hampshire sailor had been competing in the transatlantic Transat Jaques Vabre Race from Le Havre to Brazil.
“It was an incredibly unusual event and we need to understand why it happened,” said Thomson.
Both men were uninjured.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00