FLASH floods in northern Spain have left four pensioners dead and five injured.
The ground floor of their retirement home, Ribera del Sio in Agramunt, north of Tarragona, was flooded due to heavy storms at 4am today.
Reduced mobility meant numerous pensioners could not escape in time and they were found dead in their rooms by firemen.
All nine pensioners that slept on that floor were affected, and several of the survivors were saved by clinging on to a floating mattress.
Last weekend, southern Spain suffered the worst storms since 1995 and earlier this year saw dramatic scene unfold in Almeria – watch the video here.
- Property portal Kyero is ‘optimistic’ about the Spanish property market post Brexit vote - 14 Jul, 2016 @ 13:40
- Spain’s ‘original’ eating schedule has stabilising effect - 13 Jul, 2016 @ 13:30
- Restaurant chain La Sala introduces dining in the sky - 10 Jul, 2016 @ 09:30
- Blown away by Tarifa - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:06
- Axarquia town begs for residents to limit water usage while unveiling swimming pool - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:03
- Malaga tourism office releases positive message for British tourists and expats after Brexit vote - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 11:45
- Spanish PM Rajoy claims Malaga ‘has a bright, promising future’ - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 19:11
- Tiger kills zookeeper at Benidorm animal park - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 12:00
- Brexit means Spanish expansion for one UK firm - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 11:04
- Michael Gove’s Spanish-based brother in law is worried about his future after Brexit - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 08:25