THE five-star Sunborn Hotel arrived in Gibraltar a year ago to a fair degree of cynicism.
A purpose-built yacht hotel, there were plenty sceptical that it would not take off, with visitors and tourists preferring to lay down their heads at the more historic Rock Hotel, or La Caleta.
However, it has slowly come into its own and become a useful hub for tourists and businesses alike, that find the location superb.
There is a definite sense of glamour arriving into the clean retro lobby with its huge glass disco ball/planet hanging above and jazzy marble floors.
Being five-star you are quickly helped by a porter and reception staff are polite and efficient.
Best of all though are the rooms, which make clever use of light, as well as the stunning maritime location overlooking lines of yachts and towards shimmering views of the Serrania de Ronda.
Technology is paramount with everything focussing around a touch screen and the curtains opening by touch. Mood lighting is good and the sheet quality excellent.
On board you will also find a casino, gym and, of course, beauty parlours plus various places to eat, drink and generally be merry.
All in all it was great to be aboard!
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00