A MULTI-MILLION euro renovation project, backed by international designer Philippe Starck, has been blocked by strong opposition.
Frenchman Starck, one of the world’s top designers, trumped up 15 million to renovate a historic oil factory on the outskirts of Ronda.
The plans for the Tagus oil mill include space for a restaurant and museum.
However, the brakes have been put on, with all but the PP rejecting the renovation plan.
Among the objections is that the zoning would be changed to urban from rural, allowing the height of construction to be increased from 7m to 25.
IU councillor Francisca González spoke of what she called “immense dimensions for a rural setting” while her PA colleague, Isabel Barriga, said it would “shatter the Andalucian esthetic”.
Starck, 66, is already the artistic director of Ronda-based company La Amarilla, whose luxury olive oil sells in Harrods in London.
Despite the decision, Starck is still determined to get the necessary permission.
“I am a lover of Andalucian spirit,” he said. “I am sure this project will be a great boost to the tourism industry.”
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05
- World Dance Day Saturday 13th April 2019 - 12 Apr, 2019 @ 16:38
- 10 Incredible Ways Technology Will Change Education By 2028 - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 14:30
- Airlines in Europe could soon be forced to fork out €1,400 for every piece of lost luggage - 7 Apr, 2019 @ 10:31
- Spain has one of smallest number of food-related deaths in world - 6 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00