A MULTI-MILLION euro renovation project, backed by international designer Philippe Starck, has been blocked by strong opposition.
Frenchman Starck, one of the world’s top designers, trumped up 15 million to renovate a historic oil factory on the outskirts of Ronda.
The plans for the Tagus oil mill include space for a restaurant and museum.
However, the brakes have been put on, with all but the PP rejecting the renovation plan.
Among the objections is that the zoning would be changed to urban from rural, allowing the height of construction to be increased from 7m to 25.
IU councillor Francisca González spoke of what she called “immense dimensions for a rural setting” while her PA colleague, Isabel Barriga, said it would “shatter the Andalucian esthetic”.
Starck, 66, is already the artistic director of Ronda-based company La Amarilla, whose luxury olive oil sells in Harrods in London.
Despite the decision, Starck is still determined to get the necessary permission.
“I am a lover of Andalucian spirit,” he said. “I am sure this project will be a great boost to the tourism industry.”
- Caught live: Massive winner from UK’s most relevant band of the last few decades - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 20:42
- 11 new villages make it onto Spain’s ‘most beautiful’ list - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:40
- FAB FRESCOS: Spain has some of the best, but how many do you recognise? - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 10:51
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- EXPANSION: Pole position as long-running expat agent opens fifth office in central Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58
- Mallorca finca featured in New York Times - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:21
- World Trade Center Gibraltar celebrates two years of thriving international business - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:45