A MULTI-MILLION euro renovation project, backed by international designer Philippe Starck, has been blocked by strong opposition.
Frenchman Starck, one of the world’s top designers, trumped up 15 million to renovate a historic oil factory on the outskirts of Ronda.
The plans for the Tagus oil mill include space for a restaurant and museum.
However, the brakes have been put on, with all but the PP rejecting the renovation plan.
Among the objections is that the zoning would be changed to urban from rural, allowing the height of construction to be increased from 7m to 25.
IU councillor Francisca González spoke of what she called “immense dimensions for a rural setting” while her PA colleague, Isabel Barriga, said it would “shatter the Andalucian esthetic”.
Starck, 66, is already the artistic director of Ronda-based company La Amarilla, whose luxury olive oil sells in Harrods in London.
Despite the decision, Starck is still determined to get the necessary permission.
“I am a lover of Andalucian spirit,” he said. “I am sure this project will be a great boost to the tourism industry.”
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14