A YOUNG man has attacked the Spanish Prime Minister while he was out campaigning for his PP party in Pontevedra.
He was punched in the face, knocking him backwards and breaking his glasses.
The attacker, who has since been arrested, is believed to have had political motives.
Reports claim he shouted ‘we must change this government’ during his arrest.
After punching Rajoy, he also hit one of the security staff before being restrained.
PP Minister Ana Pastor has tried to downplay the incident and persuaded the Prime Minister to continue his walk down the street without his glasses.
However, footage appears to show him looking visibly shaken.
He will now head to La Coruna for another rally ahead of December 20’s general election.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44