THE family of an 18-year-old Costa del Sol champion rock climber have thanked locals who raised €9,000 for an operation to save his hand.
Cristobal Pineda Rodríguez, an Andalucian rock climbing champion from Manilva, is suffering from Kienböck disease, which destroys the wrists bones.
The operation wasn’t covered by Cristobal’s social security and his parents were unable to pay for it, so local politicians and the community embarked on a fund-raising campaign.
Cristobal will now travel to a Barcelona hospital for the operation on December 29.
“The objective of raising €9,000 for Cristobal Pineda has been acheived today,” said a family statement.
“The family want thank all the people who have supported this cause.
“When we have news of the operations we will let you all know. A million thanks and truly a example of solidarity.”
Manilva Town Hall released a statement thanking all those who helped raise money, including the Duquesa Charitable Society of Saint George, whose Sabi Spartan Boxing Day Swim raised more than €800.
Dean Tyler Shelton, a Manilva councillor, said: “What has been acheived is nothing less than one of the biggest shows of solidarity to a good cause I have ever witnessed in Manilva.
“What has been acheived for Cris is what small community living is all about: Unity in diversity in strength.”
The account set up for the fund will be closed on Monday. Any funds raised over the designated amount will go to another local charitable cause, Manilva council have said.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00