SIX months ago Rafa Benitez was giving team talks to Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale at the Bernabeu.
He was being tipped as Vincent del Bosque’s successor for the national job.
But now, in a unforeseen career move, the Spanish gaffer is rubbing shoulders with messrs Rob Elliot and Emmanuel Riviere at the Premier League’s second-bottom side.
Taking over at Newcastle United, Rafa watched his new side lose 1-0 to a rampant Leicester City side.
The former Real Madrid, Chelsea and Liverpool boss now has nine games to save Newcastle from relegation. If not, he has a getout clause should the go down.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36