SPAIN has been granted a reprieve by the EU over its failure to meet deficit targets.
Brussels will revisit the country´s public finances in early July in a bit to not interfere with the fresh elections in June.
Spain´s deadline to fix its public finances has been moved to the end of this year.
The EU´s economic chief Pierre Moscovici said: “The recommendation for Spain is no longer realistic, we have concluded this is not the right moment, economically or politically to take this step.”
Spain and Portugal were set to become the first EU countries sanctioned for missing deficit targets.
Portugal has been offered a reprieve until 2017.
The news will be welcomed in Madrid, where fresh elections after six months of political deadlock are set to take place next month, with polls suggesting a similar outcome.
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23