A BRITISH family has been arrested in Alicante over an alleged care home scam spanning over three years.
They were picked up by police while they were attempting to sell properties that were owned by a resident who had died at their Santa Pola care home.
Police, acting on a tip-off, arrested the couple who own the home, both aged 59, as well as their 25-year-old daughter, who is believed to have been a leading participant in the scam.
It is alleged she persuaded elderly clients at the pharmacy where she worked to move into her parents care home.
A police spokesperson said: “She would show interest in them and establish an emotional tie with them. She would get information of how they lived, about their purchasing power.”
It is alleged she targeted wealthy, English-speaking Brits who had little or no family.
Once at the home, the clients would be pushed into handing over deeds to their properties and bequeathing their estate when they died, it is alleged.
Police say their mobile phones would also be taken away.
The three have been charged with fraud, membership of a criminal group and unlawful assumption of property.
They have not yet been named.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19