A LEADING British businessman based in Spain has urged expats to consider ‘becoming Spanish’ in protest.
The Andalucía-based hotelier has also urged ‘moderate, open-minded’ young people in England to move to the continent.
Peter Whaley, the owner of various hotels in Tarifa and father of World number one kitesurfer Liam Whaley, insisted: ‘Thanks to the older, white little Englanders we are all going to suffer in Europe.
“Britain has voted for disunity and instability which will no doubt go on for years…
“Yes Europe needs reforming, but not from the sidelines, from within.
“I’ve been running businesses here for over 30 years and I understand the failings of Spain and Europe but this however will only make it worse.”
The owner of Tarifa’s emblematic Hurricane Hotel that opened in 1984, added: “we are not little Englanders here – we are open and worldly and I would urge all British expats in Spain to consider taking Spanish nationality in protest.
“I would also urge young people living in London, like my daughter, sickened with this vote, to consider moving to the continent.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00