BELIEVE it or not, cockroach milk could be the superfood of the future.
An international team of scientists have sequenced a protein crystal located in the midgut of the world’s most reviled bug that is four times as nutritious as cow’s milk.
Researchers believe it could prove vital in feeding the world’s growing population.
Unlike most cockroaches the Diploptera Punctate species, the only one to give birth to live young, pumps out a type of ‘milk’ containing protein crystals to feed its offspring.
But scientists won’t be hooking up millions of mother cockroaches to milking machines. They plan to replicate the crystals in the lab.
“The crystals are like a complete food, they have proteins, fats and sugars. If you look into the protein sequences, they have all the essential amino acids,” said Sanchari Banerjee, one of the team.
Another vital factor is that this dense source of calories and nutrients is time released.
As the protein in the milk is digested, the crystals release more protein at an equivalent rate, to continue the digestion.
“If you need food that is calorifically high, time released and complete, this is it,” said Subramanian Ramaswamy, who led the project.
It is hoped the superfood can help combat malnutrition in Third World countries and in times of food shortage.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40