BELIEVE it or not, cockroach milk could be the superfood of the future.
An international team of scientists have sequenced a protein crystal located in the midgut of the world’s most reviled bug that is four times as nutritious as cow’s milk.
Researchers believe it could prove vital in feeding the world’s growing population.
Unlike most cockroaches the Diploptera Punctate species, the only one to give birth to live young, pumps out a type of ‘milk’ containing protein crystals to feed its offspring.
But scientists won’t be hooking up millions of mother cockroaches to milking machines. They plan to replicate the crystals in the lab.
“The crystals are like a complete food, they have proteins, fats and sugars. If you look into the protein sequences, they have all the essential amino acids,” said Sanchari Banerjee, one of the team.
Another vital factor is that this dense source of calories and nutrients is time released.
As the protein in the milk is digested, the crystals release more protein at an equivalent rate, to continue the digestion.
“If you need food that is calorifically high, time released and complete, this is it,” said Subramanian Ramaswamy, who led the project.
It is hoped the superfood can help combat malnutrition in Third World countries and in times of food shortage.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20