THE Partido Popular of Motril has strongly opposed a plan to provide Axarquia with more water.
A proposal had been put forward to transfer water from the Rules and Iznajar dams to Axarquia and Vega de Antequera.
“Taking this water would be an insult to the farmers of the Granada municipalities who also have intensive farming uses, with need for sufficient guaranteed water,” said spokeswoman for the PP in Motril, Luisa Maria Garcia Chamorro.
“We believe that this water is needed in the province of Granada and it is not acceptable that Almuñecar is preparing for a shortage of subtropical crops and the Junta de Andalucia wants to take the water to Malaga.”
Almuñecar’s water shortage has led to farmers warning the local government that they are weeks from disaster.
Chamorro’s protests, however, may have fallen on deaf ears as Velez-Malaga, who requested water from the Rules dam, has received a positive initial response from the Junta de Andalucia, who are looking favourably at the 10,000 jobs that would be created in farming.
- Caught live: Massive winner from UK’s most relevant band of the last few decades - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 20:42
- 11 new villages make it onto Spain’s ‘most beautiful’ list - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:40
- FAB FRESCOS: Spain has some of the best, but how many do you recognise? - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 10:51
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- EXPANSION: Pole position as long-running expat agent opens fifth office in central Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58
- Mallorca finca featured in New York Times - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:21
- World Trade Center Gibraltar celebrates two years of thriving international business - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:45