THE Partido Popular of Motril has strongly opposed a plan to provide Axarquia with more water.
A proposal had been put forward to transfer water from the Rules and Iznajar dams to Axarquia and Vega de Antequera.
“Taking this water would be an insult to the farmers of the Granada municipalities who also have intensive farming uses, with need for sufficient guaranteed water,” said spokeswoman for the PP in Motril, Luisa Maria Garcia Chamorro.
“We believe that this water is needed in the province of Granada and it is not acceptable that Almuñecar is preparing for a shortage of subtropical crops and the Junta de Andalucia wants to take the water to Malaga.”
Almuñecar’s water shortage has led to farmers warning the local government that they are weeks from disaster.
Chamorro’s protests, however, may have fallen on deaf ears as Velez-Malaga, who requested water from the Rules dam, has received a positive initial response from the Junta de Andalucia, who are looking favourably at the 10,000 jobs that would be created in farming.
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05
- World Dance Day Saturday 13th April 2019 - 12 Apr, 2019 @ 16:38
- 10 Incredible Ways Technology Will Change Education By 2028 - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 14:30
- Airlines in Europe could soon be forced to fork out €1,400 for every piece of lost luggage - 7 Apr, 2019 @ 10:31
- Spain has one of smallest number of food-related deaths in world - 6 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- British tourists’ spending up in first quarter of 2019 with Andalucia the main destination for UK holidaymakers - 6 Apr, 2019 @ 09:25