THE mayor of Marbella is being investigated for granting his friend the use of a police escort at his wedding.
Jose Bernal issued friend and fellow PSOE politician Daniel Garcia Andreu a two horse escort at his glitzy wedding in Marbella on June 3.
He was also granted a special zone for the loading and unloading of vehicles that were dropping off guests between calle Huerta Chica and the restaurant La Pesquera.
Marbella prosecutor Julio Angel Martinez is investigating whether it is an appropriate use of public funds and whether the offence could be ruled as a criminal offence.
Bernal was first denounced by his rival PP party just days after the wedding.
“We warn of the seriousness of the use of public resources at the service of private interests,” read a statement.
“It is unacceptable for the town hall to escort a wedding party or an event that should have stayed within the private sphere.”
The local police have also begun an internal investigation.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20