FIVE men have been jailed in Spain after an overcrowded party they organised caused a stampede that killed five women.
A Madrid court found the group guilty of negligent homicide and sentenced them to prison with terms ranging from two-and-a-half to four years.
A further two men were fined €3,600 for their role in the deaths.
The seven men have also been ordered to pay €350,000 to the families of the victims.
The stampede occured in the early hours of November 1 in 2012 during a Halloween party at the Madrid-Arena venue.
Three women, aged between 18 and 20, were trampled to death stampede, while a 17 and 20-year-old woman died later in hospital..
The court heard how Miguel Angel Flores, who owned the private company behind the event, sold 16,492 tickets despite the venue having a maximum hold of 10,620.
It added that Flores closed exit routes and stairways and minimised security ‘with the aim of making the biggest possible economic gain’.
He received a four year sentence, the longest of the group.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52