FIVE men have been jailed in Spain after an overcrowded party they organised caused a stampede that killed five women.
A Madrid court found the group guilty of negligent homicide and sentenced them to prison with terms ranging from two-and-a-half to four years.
A further two men were fined €3,600 for their role in the deaths.
The seven men have also been ordered to pay €350,000 to the families of the victims.
The stampede occured in the early hours of November 1 in 2012 during a Halloween party at the Madrid-Arena venue.
Three women, aged between 18 and 20, were trampled to death stampede, while a 17 and 20-year-old woman died later in hospital..
The court heard how Miguel Angel Flores, who owned the private company behind the event, sold 16,492 tickets despite the venue having a maximum hold of 10,620.
It added that Flores closed exit routes and stairways and minimised security ‘with the aim of making the biggest possible economic gain’.
He received a four year sentence, the longest of the group.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31