SPANISH companies are flooding in to invest in golf resorts in Cuba since the US lifted its trade embargo on the island last year.
2015 saw 3.5 million people visit Cuba, a 17% increase on the year before, and it seems the country cannot build hotels and golf resorts quick enough, changing the law to allow increased foreign direct investment as long as there is a cuban partner involved.
In June, Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism said it was close to a deal with Spanish consortium La Playa Golf/Resorts S.L to build the vast Punta Colorada Cuba Golf Marina in remote Punta Colorada in the Pinar del Río province.
They are also said to be closing in on a golf development deal with another Spanish firm just west of Havana at El Salado.
Meanwhile, Spain’s Urbas Grupo Financiero announced in March that it had begun gathering funds for a resort of 1,500 villas and 3,000 apartments with several golf courses at Rancho Luna-Pasacaballos, near Cienfuegos, with an investment budget of €519 million.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20