THEY come from as far as Cyprus and Italy to learn how to groom dogs by Rachel Goutorbe.
With an international reputation spanning over two decades, it is perhaps little surprise.
Her thriving business Posh Pets, which she runs with husband Les, literally treats its guests – that is, its pampered pooches and cats – better than half the hotels in the region.
The fortunate pets that end up getting groomed here, or who come to stay, come from as far as Nerja and Gibraltar, and end up looking squeaky clean with big smiles on their faces.
“They absolutely love it in there, running around playing together, their tails wagging,” explains Rachel, who has been running her upmarket kennels since 2004.
“A lot of the dogs are rescue dogs and you can see how they unwind and relax there.
“It helps to build up their confidence as well as to tantalise all their senses, plus it helps them to interact with their surroundings and provide physical and mental challenges to help enrich their lives.”
With a herb garden and a sandpit with treats hidden in it… could there be a pet hotel in Spain quite as posh?
The Pet Sensory Garden/Playground sits in a half acre grove of mature citrus trees and is a riot of smells and colours.
Cleverly thought out, there is a big range of self-medicating plants such as valerian, often selected by anxious dogs for its calming effect, and marigolds, often selected by animals that are experiencing grief or emotional stress.
Then there is lavender to encourage scar tissue regeneration, wheat grass for animals that are nervous, as well as peppermint which is good for its cooling properties and often selected by animals with skin irritations. It can also be used as an aid for training.
The garden also boasts a water feature, a wendy house, an illusion mirror and crazy daisies, which spray the dogs with water, keeping them cool in summer.
The fantastic adjacent dog hotel has its kennels named after Coronation Street characters and each comes with its own pink sun bed.
Aside to this there is a spacious boutique cattery away from the boasting large individual rooms complete with climbing frames, cat trees, toys and music. Each cat has a 360 degree view.
“Our grounds are fully secure with CCTV and we live on site so there is peace of mind,” continues Rachel, who has won grooming competitions around the world, and now trains up students, who come from as far as Greece and Holland.
“We understand owners concerns for the care of their pets and they receive the same love and attention as you would bestow upon them whilst they are in our care,” she says.
Regularly photos of the pets on their holiday are posted on the Facebook page POSH PETS SPAIN.
And clients that live some distance from Alhaurin can be picked up by a licensed Pet Pick-up service too. On top of this the company runs a fully licensed pet transportation service to and from the UK and Europe.
Finally, the Grooming Salon & Groomers training centre is fully equipped and caters for all breeds and crossbreeds as well as cats.
Courses to learn how to groom last two or three weeks and take in first aid, canine massage and how to make your own products
• Visit www.poshpetsspain.com for more info or call 952 597 035
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58