WITH an enormous glass of gin and tonic in one hand and a huge smile slapped across his face, the mayor of Arriate celebrated the 11th edition of the town’s Fiesta en el Aire as energetically as anyone.
Not your average alcalde, Melchor Conde Marin shook hands and danced with dozens of happy constituents as he joined thousands of residents – and numerous tourists – to toast yet another successful al fresco fest.
Rows of food and drink stalls lined the streets and artisan games were dotted about for kids to enjoy during the three-day fiesta.
Started in 2005, the weekend bash is rounded off with a live music concert in the town square.
Colourful art sculptures featuring umbrellas hanging between the streets and wooden chairs stacked atop of one another were another highlight of this year’s event.
The town is one of the most authentic in the Serrania and counts on one of the best restaurants in Andalucia, El Muelle (www.elmuelle-arriate.com), as well as a superb rural hotel Arriadh (www.arriadhhotel.com).
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00