SPAIN’S new conservative government is preparing a measure that could ban sharing memes on the internet.
The Partido Popular’s proposal, which was presented as a motion to congress this week, calls for a curb on ‘spreading images that infringe on the honour of a person’.
The right wing party, led by prime minister Mariano Rajoy, want the measure to be included in the controversial Citizens Security Law – dubbed the ‘gag law’ for imposing restrictions on public protest, social media activism and disrespecting police.
It has seen at least two Spaniards arrested for tweeting or taking pictures of policemen.
The new proposal has been blasted as another threat to freedom of expression.
“If the intent is to pursue those who publish images without consent, then an act as widespread as sharing political criticism in the form of memes becomes a risky activity,” warned Carlos Sánchez Almeida from the Platform in Defence of Freedom of Information (PDLI).
The measure has been met with a barrage of memes flooding the internet and mocking Rajoy.
The prime minister will likely find it difficult to pass the law given that he leads a minority government and only holds 137 of the 350 parliamentary seats.
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33