STATUS Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt has died in hospital in Spain.
The 68-year-old rocker passed away in Marbella after developing an infection from complications suffered from a shoulder injury.
He was rushed to hospital on Thursday evening, but died at lunchtime on Saturday.
A statement from the star’s family and manager Simon Porter paid tribute to the guitarist.
“We are truly devastated to have to announce that Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt has passed away at lunchtime today,” the statement said.
“This tragic news comes at a time when Rick was hugely looking forward to launching a solo career with an album and autobiography planned for 2017 following his departure from Status Quo’s touring activities on medical advice.
“He will be sorely missed by his family, friends, fellow band members, management, crew and his dedicated legion of fans from throughout the world, gained through 50 years of monumental success with Status Quo.”
Over the years, Parfitt had suffered bouts of ill health, and had a quadruple heart bypass in 1997.
He had recently suffered a heart attack while staying in Turkey.
Parfitt is survived by his wife Lyndsay, their twins Tommy and Lily and his adult children Rick Jnr and Harry.
I cannot describe the sadness I feel right now. To many he was a rockstar, to me he was simply 'Dad', and I loved him hugely. RIP Pappa Parf
— Rick Parfitt Jnr (@RickParfittJnr) December 24, 2016
More about Rick Parfitt from the Olive Press News archives:
Status Quo rocker Rick Parfitt saved from heart attack by kebabRick Parfitt future in Status Quo uncertain after second heart attack
Status Quo star Rick Parfitt launches estate agents in Marbella
Conman who duped Status Quo rocker Rick Parfitt is identified as Dutchman
Status Quo rockstar Rick Parfitt conned by dodgy kitchenware salesmen near Marbella
Status Quo cancel European shows after Rick Parfitt falls ill
‘I knew Jimmy Savile was dodgy’, says Status Quo’s Rick Parfitt
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00