JOHN ‘Goldfinger’ Palmer’s top lieutenant has flown back to the UK from Spain to face questioning over his boss’s brutal murder.
Richard Cashman, 50, voluntarily returned to Britain, where he attended a police station by appointment and was questioned under caution as a potential suspect.
Just four week’s before Palmer was shot dead in his Essex home in 2015, Cashman had been charged alongside him with involvement in an alleged multi-million euro timeshare fraud.
British police believe the timing could prove significant.
A police spokesman said: “A 50-year-old man has today, Saturday, February 4, been questioned on suspicion of the murder of John Palmer in Brentwood in June 2015.
“The man is originally from Tyneside but is currently living in southern Spain. He was interviewed at a police station in the UK.
“Enquiries in to Mr Palmer’s murder are on going and detectives are continuing to appeal for anyone with information to contact the Brentwood Major Investigation Team.”
Palmer, or Goldfinger, was once known as the UK’s richest criminal, and is thought to have been worth around €350 million.
Palmer was due to stand trial for property fraud in Spain at the time of his death.
He got the name ‘Goldfinger’ after he was arrested on suspicion of melting down gold from the infamous Brink’s-Mat robbery at London’s Heathrow Airport.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31