The government blocked the bid to add protections to the Brexit bill in the House of Commons yesterday by 332 votes to 290.
It is thought that the rights of British expats living abroad will be dependent on the UK ensuring the protection of its current EU citizens.
It comes after UK prime minister Theresa May said she wants to resolve the matter of expats on both sides as soon as possible once Brexit negotiations begin.
The Liberal Democrats have now vowed to get the amendment passed when the bill is debated in the House of Lords later this month.
“The Liberal Democrats will make protecting these citizens’ rights a top priority. We have tabled amendments in the Commons and we will do so again in the House of Lords,” Lib Dem Lords leader Dick Newby said.
“We believe we have support on all sides to deliver on the promises the government should have made to millions of people who have made our country their home.”
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27