TRIBUTES have been pouring in for an elderly British cyclist who was killed by a drug driver in Palma.
Bryan Stout, 86, who often campaigned for improved cycling safety in the UK, was mowed down by a 48-year-old local in Port d’Alcudia.
Stout – a member of the London Cycling Campaign and Stop Killing Cyclists – was killed instantly before the ambulance and police arrived at the scene.
“Brian was a great character, a kind man with a dry sense of humour,” friend Billy-Joe Whenman told the Olive Press.
“He was a lover of cycling and always had time to talk,” added the pal, who was in Mallorca with him.
“All in all he was a great man, I call him a legend. Many stories I have from time spent with Brian will stay with me, he was always happy and had good banter.
“He was an excellent example of what a man should be, a true gentleman.”
The unnamed driver tested positive for alcohol and drugs and was arrested on the spot.
Son Alex Stout said of his father: “He was a hero through and through, he was my mentor, my inspiration, my friend and my comedy partner.
“He was doing the thing he loved the most in the place he called home from home riding his bike in the sun and for that I take solace.”
He added: “My father never wanted a funeral and said if we did have one for him we had better book a comedian, so rather than that we will be celebrating his life with a party, the way he would have wanted it, hats and all!”
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52