TRIBUTES have been pouring in for an elderly British cyclist who was killed by a drug driver in Palma.
Bryan Stout, 86, who often campaigned for improved cycling safety in the UK, was mowed down by a 48-year-old local in Port d’Alcudia.
Stout – a member of the London Cycling Campaign and Stop Killing Cyclists – was killed instantly before the ambulance and police arrived at the scene.
“Brian was a great character, a kind man with a dry sense of humour,” friend Billy-Joe Whenman told the Olive Press.
“He was a lover of cycling and always had time to talk,” added the pal, who was in Mallorca with him.
“All in all he was a great man, I call him a legend. Many stories I have from time spent with Brian will stay with me, he was always happy and had good banter.
“He was an excellent example of what a man should be, a true gentleman.”
The unnamed driver tested positive for alcohol and drugs and was arrested on the spot.
Son Alex Stout said of his father: “He was a hero through and through, he was my mentor, my inspiration, my friend and my comedy partner.
“He was doing the thing he loved the most in the place he called home from home riding his bike in the sun and for that I take solace.”
He added: “My father never wanted a funeral and said if we did have one for him we had better book a comedian, so rather than that we will be celebrating his life with a party, the way he would have wanted it, hats and all!”
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06