TRIBUTES have been pouring in for an elderly British cyclist who was killed by a drug driver in Palma.
Bryan Stout, 86, who often campaigned for improved cycling safety in the UK, was mowed down by a 48-year-old local in Port d’Alcudia.
Stout – a member of the London Cycling Campaign and Stop Killing Cyclists – was killed instantly before the ambulance and police arrived at the scene.
“Brian was a great character, a kind man with a dry sense of humour,” friend Billy-Joe Whenman told the Olive Press.
“He was a lover of cycling and always had time to talk,” added the pal, who was in Mallorca with him.
“All in all he was a great man, I call him a legend. Many stories I have from time spent with Brian will stay with me, he was always happy and had good banter.
“He was an excellent example of what a man should be, a true gentleman.”
The unnamed driver tested positive for alcohol and drugs and was arrested on the spot.
Son Alex Stout said of his father: “He was a hero through and through, he was my mentor, my inspiration, my friend and my comedy partner.
“He was doing the thing he loved the most in the place he called home from home riding his bike in the sun and for that I take solace.”
He added: “My father never wanted a funeral and said if we did have one for him we had better book a comedian, so rather than that we will be celebrating his life with a party, the way he would have wanted it, hats and all!”
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29