BRITISH Airways have delayed ending free food and drink on their short-haul flights from London’s City Airport after a British father launched a successful legal challenge.
The controversial move was due to take place in August but has now been moved back to October.
It comes after father-of-three John Barber spent €2,300 on eight tickets for his wife and kids and family members to fly from London City Airport to Mallorca this August.
Barber, who bought the tickets weeks before BA’s announced changes, argued that it was unfair that the company would not be providing the service he had paid for.
Barber calculated that if had purchased the same items as he was given for free on the same flight last year – a bottle of water, a small bottle of wine or soft drink, a sandwich and crisps – he would be charged an extra €185 on the new Marks & Spencer’s menu.
He lodged a claim for €374 that included his added costs.
BA pushed back the date their changes come into effect, likely fearing similar claims being repeated, claim consumer groups.
Barber, 40, from Peterborough, said: “I suspect the only reason they changed the cut-off date is because they did not want to go through a court case and open the door to lots of other claims. However, that doesn’t mean they are in the clear.
“We also need BA to make absolutely clear to everyone…exactly when this change is going to come into effect.”
A spokesman for BA would not give a reason for the delay but said: “We now offer a range of M&S sandwiches and salads for under £5, and snacks from £1. Customers say they prefer the new selection.”
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52