EXPAT bar owners are demanding a crackdown on muggings by criminal gangs in Calvia.
The group insist the problem is getting ‘out of control’ and the council must take action.
It comes after a British tourist, 70, claimed he was attacked by a ‘gang of prostitutes’ in Magaluf.
The regular visitor, who has a home in the area, is understood to have lost over 100 euros.
“The saddest thing is he knows not to take too much money with him as he can guarantee he will get propositioned on the way home,” said his friend Abbey Wright.
Another expat Craig Beattie claimed that the problem is affecting tourism.
“Two ladies told me their friends have stopped coming due to the muggings… they don’t know if they will be back either, they have been coming the last 20 years or so!”
One bar owner confirmed the problem.
“I feel let down by the authorities’ inability to deal with the threat that is posed by the gangs posing as prostitutes.”
Speaking anonymously due to fear of reprisals, he added: “There are victims every day, many of whom don’t report the incident for fear of embarrassment.”
The council failed to comment as we went to press.
It comes after the council introduced its controversial sound limiter policy that keeps sound in bars no louder than 62 decibels.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14