EXPAT bar owners are demanding a crackdown on muggings by criminal gangs in Calvia.
The group insist the problem is getting ‘out of control’ and the council must take action.
It comes after a British tourist, 70, claimed he was attacked by a ‘gang of prostitutes’ in Magaluf.
The regular visitor, who has a home in the area, is understood to have lost over 100 euros.
“The saddest thing is he knows not to take too much money with him as he can guarantee he will get propositioned on the way home,” said his friend Abbey Wright.
Another expat Craig Beattie claimed that the problem is affecting tourism.
“Two ladies told me their friends have stopped coming due to the muggings… they don’t know if they will be back either, they have been coming the last 20 years or so!”
One bar owner confirmed the problem.
“I feel let down by the authorities’ inability to deal with the threat that is posed by the gangs posing as prostitutes.”
Speaking anonymously due to fear of reprisals, he added: “There are victims every day, many of whom don’t report the incident for fear of embarrassment.”
The council failed to comment as we went to press.
It comes after the council introduced its controversial sound limiter policy that keeps sound in bars no louder than 62 decibels.
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25