THE number of EU nurses applying to work in the UK has dropped by a whopping 96% since last year’s Brexit referendum.
Last July saw 1,304 nurses from the EU join the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) register, compared to just 46 in April of this year.
The Health Foundation has said the findings, which come at a time of chronic shortages in the UK’s National Health Service, could not be more stark, adding that they should act as a ‘wake-up call’.
The NMC said new English language testing for EU nurses is also likely to have played a part in the drop in applications.
The NHS is already struggling with nurse vacancies, meaning shortages could now become a lot worse.
Recent research by the Royal College of Nursing in May found one in nine posts in England was vacant.
The results of the study mean the NHS is 40,000 nurses short of what is needed.
Anita Charlesworth, director of research and economics at the Health Foundation said: “Without EU nurses, it will be even harder for the NHS and other employers to find the staff they need to provide safe patient care.
“The findings should be a wake-up call to politicians and health service leaders.”
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23