THREE days of mourning have been declared in Portugal as the death toll in the catastrophic forest fires has reached 62.
The Pedrogao Grande area, 120 miles north of Lisbon, has been aflame since last night.
Some 22 people burned alive in their cars as they tried to escape the inferno.
Portugal Prime Minister Antonio Costa said it is the ‘greatest tragedy we have seen in recent years in terms of forest fires.’
He warned that the death toll could rise.
Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy has offered Spain’s support after sending two water-bombing planes.
“Stunned by the tragedy in Pedrogao Grande,” he tweeted, “The Portugese people can depend on our solidarity, support and affection.”
Around 60 forest fires took hold across the country last night, with 1,700 firefighters called to put them out.
At least 54 people are said to be injured.
Two firemen are missing.
It comes as the Iberian Peninsula is experiencing extreme heat waves, increasing the risk of fires.
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25