THREE days of mourning have been declared in Portugal as the death toll in the catastrophic forest fires has reached 62.
The Pedrogao Grande area, 120 miles north of Lisbon, has been aflame since last night.
Some 22 people burned alive in their cars as they tried to escape the inferno.
Portugal Prime Minister Antonio Costa said it is the ‘greatest tragedy we have seen in recent years in terms of forest fires.’
He warned that the death toll could rise.
Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy has offered Spain’s support after sending two water-bombing planes.
“Stunned by the tragedy in Pedrogao Grande,” he tweeted, “The Portugese people can depend on our solidarity, support and affection.”
Around 60 forest fires took hold across the country last night, with 1,700 firefighters called to put them out.
At least 54 people are said to be injured.
Two firemen are missing.
It comes as the Iberian Peninsula is experiencing extreme heat waves, increasing the risk of fires.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14