According to the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), the country’s ‘insufficient’ structures to hold the migrants are already being stretched.
It claims Spain is not prepared to handle vulnerable groups, including victims of trafficking or unaccompanied minors and refugees who should be channelled through asylum procedures.
Spokeswoman for the UNHCR in Spain, Maria Jesus Vega said: “What is clear is that, they (Spain’s government) have to get ready.
“They can’t be caught unprepared. What started happening elsewhere in Europe in 2015 can’t be allowed to happen here.
“It’s not yet an emergency, but you have to take into account that there are no structures here to deal with more arrivals.”
The Italian sea route remains the most popular overall with 59,000 migrants between January and May, up 32% from last year, but the Spanish route further west saw 6,800 migrants using it in the same period, a 75% increase from 2016.
The trend was even more pronounced last month after 1,900 migrants – who were mostly young men from Guinea, Ivory Coast, Gambia and Cameroon – reached the southern region of Andalucia, quadruple the figure the year before.
About 88 migrants from Morocco were rescued off the Strait of Gibraltar in June, including 20 children.
Buba Fubareh, a 27-year-old mason from Banjul, Gambia, who tried and failed to get to Europe via Libya earlier this year told Sky News: “People are talking about going to Spain. It seems like it is safer to go through Morocco to Spain than through Libya.
“The difference is that Libya doesn’t have a president and Morocco does – there are not guns like in Libya.”
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13