According to the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), the country’s ‘insufficient’ structures to hold the migrants are already being stretched.
It claims Spain is not prepared to handle vulnerable groups, including victims of trafficking or unaccompanied minors and refugees who should be channelled through asylum procedures.
Spokeswoman for the UNHCR in Spain, Maria Jesus Vega said: “What is clear is that, they (Spain’s government) have to get ready.
“They can’t be caught unprepared. What started happening elsewhere in Europe in 2015 can’t be allowed to happen here.
“It’s not yet an emergency, but you have to take into account that there are no structures here to deal with more arrivals.”
The Italian sea route remains the most popular overall with 59,000 migrants between January and May, up 32% from last year, but the Spanish route further west saw 6,800 migrants using it in the same period, a 75% increase from 2016.
The trend was even more pronounced last month after 1,900 migrants – who were mostly young men from Guinea, Ivory Coast, Gambia and Cameroon – reached the southern region of Andalucia, quadruple the figure the year before.
About 88 migrants from Morocco were rescued off the Strait of Gibraltar in June, including 20 children.
Buba Fubareh, a 27-year-old mason from Banjul, Gambia, who tried and failed to get to Europe via Libya earlier this year told Sky News: “People are talking about going to Spain. It seems like it is safer to go through Morocco to Spain than through Libya.
“The difference is that Libya doesn’t have a president and Morocco does – there are not guns like in Libya.”
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31