ESTEPONA’S Puerto Deportivo has been awarded the prestigious blue flag today.
Town Hall staff were joined by mayor Jose Maria Garcia Urbano to raise the flag this afternoon.
The stamp of honour is reserved for beaches or ports with exceptional water quality, safety, hygiene, accessibility, services, information and lifeguards.
Spain has the most Blue Flags in the world, despite the Foundation for Environmental Education awarding the country with seven fewer this year.
Valencia boasts the highest number of awards, with 129 altogether, and following closely behind it are Galicia, 113, Catalonia, 95 and Andalucia, 90.
Criteria for an award include displaying of water quality, managing cleanliness, educating visitors of environmental concerns and providing sanitary facilities.
- British man dies after falling off pedalo in Spain despite green flags indicating sea was safe - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:33
- UNEARTHED: First Roman olive oil press EVER on Spain’s Costa del Sol as huge archaeology park planned - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:17
- British sex pest arrested in Marbella for harassing young woman with barrage of sexually explicit messages - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:54
- Boy, 8, dies in Spain after choking on hot dog during San Juan celebrations - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:30
- WATCH: Expat gives hilarious guide for boozy Brits heading to Marbella (WARNING: Not for the easily offended) - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:02
- SHAMEFUL: ‘Racist’ effigy mocking migrants shocks expats and locals ahead of San Juan celebrations on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 10:42
- OPINION: The Junta de Andalucia’s budgets which benefit residents are a welcome sight after decades of corruption - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- Report warns 20% of Spain’s olive farms could disappear within a decade - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 15:05
- OPINION: Locking British man Robert Mansfield-Hewitt up with terrorists in Spain is disgusting - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- EXCLUSIVE: Briton facing €8 MILLION fine after being locked up with terrorists for almost a year without charge near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 09:26