A BRITISH teenager who ‘dropped dead’ during a rave in Spain had taken ecstacy, a friend has claimed.
Alex Masterton, from East Lindsey in Lincolnshire, dropped to the ground at an Elrow club event near Barcelona on Saturday.
The 19-year-old student had travelled to Salou with a group of friends and is understood to have been ending his week-long holiday at the event.
One friend, named only as Miles, told Spanish media: “We knew Alex had taken pills. The heat was unbearable.”
Bottled water in the club was €4 for 100ml and they had to queue for 15 minutes to buy it, he claimed.
“Alex collapsed inside the club. It was inside, not outside. Suddenly he disappeared.”
They did not find out Alex was dead until after they returned to their chalets, he said.
Alex was planning to study biomedical sciences at Newcastle university this year.
His Headteacher James Lascelles said: “Alex had matured into a lovely lad with real personality His loss will be deeply felt.”
His parents are said to be too upset to speak to press.
Elrow’s founder Juan Arnau insisted Alex became unwell outside the club.
“An ambulance was called, he was stabilised and was taken to hospital,” Arnau said, “He died four or five hours later in hospital, from a cardiac arrest.”
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19