A BRITISH teenager who ‘dropped dead’ during a rave in Spain had taken ecstacy, a friend has claimed.
Alex Masterton, from East Lindsey in Lincolnshire, dropped to the ground at an Elrow club event near Barcelona on Saturday.
The 19-year-old student had travelled to Salou with a group of friends and is understood to have been ending his week-long holiday at the event.
One friend, named only as Miles, told Spanish media: “We knew Alex had taken pills. The heat was unbearable.”
Bottled water in the club was €4 for 100ml and they had to queue for 15 minutes to buy it, he claimed.
“Alex collapsed inside the club. It was inside, not outside. Suddenly he disappeared.”
They did not find out Alex was dead until after they returned to their chalets, he said.
Alex was planning to study biomedical sciences at Newcastle university this year.
His Headteacher James Lascelles said: “Alex had matured into a lovely lad with real personality His loss will be deeply felt.”
His parents are said to be too upset to speak to press.
Elrow’s founder Juan Arnau insisted Alex became unwell outside the club.
“An ambulance was called, he was stabilised and was taken to hospital,” Arnau said, “He died four or five hours later in hospital, from a cardiac arrest.”
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52