THE amount of British holidaymakers travelling to Spain has almost doubled over the last 20 years.
According to figures released by the Office for National Statistics today, Spain is the top UK holiday destination, with 12.9 Britons visiting last year, up from 6.9 million in 1996.
The figures also showed holidaymakers are rejecting Egypt, Tunisia and Kenya amid fears of future terrorist attacks.
France has also seen its figures over the past 20 years drop from six million to 5.6 million last year.
Belgium and Turkey, which have seen devastating terror attacks, have both dropped out of the top ten.
The series of statistics put out by the ONS also showed that the traditional two-week holiday is in decline as Brits are more likely to opt for shorter breaks.
Croatia has seen the number of trips soar from just 12,600 in 1996 to 394,000 in 2016.
The UAE has seen the largest increase in the number of trips by British tourists in the past two decades.
In 1996 fewer than 30,000 trips were made, but this boomed to 565,000 last year.
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25