The shocking figure makes Spain the worst out of 28 EU countries analysed in a study by Eurostat.
The UK sees 55.3% of its temporary workers find full-time work, the second highest conversion rate after Latvia on 56.8%.
They are followed by Romania and Austria on 51.9% and 47.6% respectively.
The figures also reveal that more than 25% of Spain’s workers are on temporary contracts.
And getting out of the trap of temporary work is becoming increasingly difficult.
A year before the crisis began, in 2006, the average duration of temporary contracts was 79.1 days.
Last year it dropped to 50.6, growing slightly in the first eight months of this year to 51.1 days.
Salaries for temporary employees continue to be far lower than those of permanent workers.
In 2015 the average yearly salary of a permanent employee was €24,562, compared to the average temporary worker’s €16,442.
This equates to a 33.1% difference, making temporary contracts far more attractive to employers.
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23