ONE in seven forest fires have been started intentionally so far this year, new figures show.
The Guardia Civil has investigated 387 fires across Spain, many of which caused severe damage. Six people have been arrested in connection.
Statistics show that 53 fires were caused by negligent behaviour which contributed to 1,359 people being evacuated from their homes.
The sheer damage from these fires has led to 516 hours being clocked between the state troopers and the Junta’s own firefighters.
General secretary Antonio Sanz said that a greater degree of communication was required between official bodies to combat the fires more efficiently.
“We have to improve the coordination of all administrations and personnel to prevent these fires from taking hold so quickly,” Sanz said.
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11