SPAIN’S new shirt for the 2018 World Cup in Russia has caused an uproar with fans threatening to boycott buying the ‘Republican’ shirt.
It seems the tense political climate in Spain has now spread to football as Twitter users were quick to point out a striking detail on the new kit presented by the Royal Spanish Football Federation.
The Adidas kit features a yellow and blue stripe running down the left side of the shirt.
Although the lines are blue, from afar they appear to be purple, a hark back to the second Spanish republic, who called for the abolition of the Spanish monarchy throughout the 20th century.
“I won’t buy a shirt that does not represent my country,” one Twitter user wrote.
“Boycott the republican national team. Spain is a monarchy, not a republic,” said another.
The shirt is supposed to be a throwback to the one worn by players for the 1994 World Cup and is part of Adidas’s retro format for next year’s tournament.
Photo courtesy of Marca news.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40