A SUPERGRAN has been labelled a ‘true heroine’ after she jumped in to save a pub owner from a glassing attack.
77-year-old expat Elizabeth Trueman didn’t hesitate when she saw the attacker smash his beer glass and lunge at publican Paolo Mortoni.
The Glaswegian pensioner stepped in when the Moroccan builder got into a heated argument with Mortoni over the payment of a round of drinks.
The regular of Bar Mortoni, in Fuengirola, tried to stop the attack, getting battered to the ground and knocked unconscious in the chaos.
“She was so brave wading in like that,” wife and co-owner Hayley Mortoni told the Olive Press. “She didn’t hesitate and made a lunge to hold him back.
“But as she grabbed him he turned round and smacked her in the face.
“It was a big punch and it knocked her straight to the ground.
“It was terrifying..She was out cold for three minutes, she could have easily died!”
Luckily Trueman, a regular visitor to the coast, where her daughter lives, came round having suffered nothing more than a few cuts and bruises.
After being interviewed by the police, she was incredibly not taken to hospital, and was merely allowed to go home.
An ambulance that was called never actually turned up.
“One female officer asked if I was okay and they just left,” the pensioner told the Olive Press last night. “They didn’t seem interested in pressing charges.”
She continued: “The whole incident was pretty terrifying and guess it’s lucky that I am so strong and wasn’t more injured as the ambulance never even turned up.”
The trouble had started when a group of builders, who work on a local construction site, took offence to being made to pay for each round of drinks.
“They began acting aggressively, then suddenly they were throwing chairs around and that’s when Liz stepped in,” said Hayley.
Police were quickly called but when the group of eight Policia Nacional officers arrived, they greeted the builders ‘like old friends’.
“The incident has clearly been brushed under the carpet.”
Policia Nacional in Fuengirola said they could not comment on the case as there was no official denuncia to reference.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14