City breaks have become the most popular form of holiday in the UK, accounting for over half the market. Palma is quickly growing as a top destination for a quick city break away.
Last winter Palma saw a growth in hotel stays by over eight percent. The new ‘Better in Winter’ campaign aims to see that number grow even more.
Palma 365 revealed that 51% of Palma visitors come with the aim to discover the city, 44% to relax and unwind and 22% to indulge in the city’s varied shopping and gastronomy. In the low season, many tourists use the vibrant capitol as a base to explore other areas of Mallorca.
The new winter campaign focuses on four main areas: culture, sport, shopping and gastronomy. The towns and trails in the Serra de la Tramuntana range are a large winter attraction, along with historic villages and festivals.
Palma town hall is emphasizing it’s city break appeal, while being a perfect post for day trips across the island.
While hosting a booth in London for the World Travel Market earlier this month, the ministry of tourism for the Balearic Island made sure not to promote beaches and summer resorts. The photos beaming around the presentation were of the mountains and villages, Mediterranean sea life, festivals and food attractions, not one beach in sight.
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42
- Mallorca has a historic number of employees working on the island - 11 Jul, 2018 @ 12:15