EVERY year the world’s leading cities fight it out to be the most Instagrammed place on the planet.
Last year, London took the crown as the most snapped and tagged city in the world.
This year, it has been knocked down to third, preceeded by first place New York and second-placed Moscow, in Russia.
Barcelona was the tenth most tagged city in the world this year.
Researchers looked at the number of tags and hashtags for top cities, landmarks, locations and hotels.
Most Instagrammed cities
- New York, New York
2. Moscow, Russia
3. London, United Kingdom
4. Sao Paulo, Brazil
5. Paris, France
6. Los Angeles, California
7. Saint Petersburg, Russia
8. Jakarta, Indonesia
9. Istanbul, Turkey
10. Barcelona, Spain
The most popular geo-tagged location in the UK was unsurprisingly London.
The capital is by far the most popular city for tourism in Britain – last year it attracted more than 19 million holidaymakers.
It was swiftly followed by Edinburgh, Manchester and Brighton in Instagram popularity.
London was also home to all of the top ten most tagged geo-locations for landmarks in the UK.
Most Instagrammed hotels
- Marina Bay Sands Singapore
- Bellagio Las Vegas
- The Venetian Las Vegas
- Atlantis The Palm, Dubai
- MGM Grand Las Vegas
- The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- Wynn Las Vegas
- Caesars Palace
- Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Paris Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Tower Bridge was number one on the list, followed by Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace and Shoreditch.
But there was no UK mention in the top ten most Instagrammed locations globally – with No.1 on that list going to Disneyland in California, followed by Times Square and Central Park in Times Square.
The most Instagrammed hotel was the Marina Bay Sands, Singapore.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27