A BRITISH expat is demanding answers after a ‘wrongful’ arrest over marijuana plants has left him unable to work for months.
Robbie McMiller, 24, has had his passport confiscated since October and will be stuck in La Linea over Christmas.
The Glasgow lad was working out in the garage-cum-gym next to his rental apartment when police stormed in and questioned him about six plants they had found growing around the back.
He was arrested the same day – October 20 – and put in front of a judge the next day and has had to appear on the 1st and 15th of each month since.
The West of Scotland University graduate had only been in Spain for two weeks when the raid happened, but this still didn’t stop him being the prime suspect.
“It is ridiculous,” he told the Olive Press this week, “the plants were between two and four metres high, I only arrived in Malaga on October 1.”
Since appearing before the judge, he has been given no more formation on his case nor has he been given any trial dates.
“I feel absolutely stuck, I might make it through to the New Year but I don’t know what I will do after then.”
McMiller had recently moved to the area and had been applying to work in Gibraltar’s gaming industry sector. He had just landed an interview with gambling giant BetVictor.
But now, with no passport, NIE or Spanish bank account, Robbie feels helpless and furious with the Spanish legal system.
“This would never be allowed to happen in the UK, it seems totally against my human rights, we should have the freedom to work and have a chance to live.”
His lawyer Alvaro Gracia told the Olive Press: “I am fighting to have his passport returned, but we probably won’t have a court date for at least a month because the courts are so backed up.
“The case should be dropped as soon as possible. He is simply not guilty.”
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22